(♯) Corresponding author
(†) signifies trainees
Gaspar L*, Bartman S*, Coppotelli G*, Ross J*. Effect of apparatus characteristics on anxiety-like behavior in young adult and old mice of both sexes assessed by the elevated plus maze assay. Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience, August 2023.
Gaspar L*, Bartman S*, Coppotelli G*, Ross J*. Acute Exposure to Microplastics Induced Changes in Behavior and Inflammation in Young and Old Mice. International Journal of Molecular Science, August 2023.
Amorim J, Coppotelli G, Rolo A, Palmeira C, Ross JM, Sinclair D. (2021). Mitochondrial and metabolic dysfunction in ageing and age-related diseases. Nature Reviews Endocrinology, Feb 2022.
Adelöf J, Ross JM, Zetterberg M, Hernebring M. (2021). Survival-Span Method: How to Qualitatively Estimate Lifespan to Improve the Study of Aging, and not Disease, in Aging Studies. Frontiers in Aging, Dec 2021.
Potts E†, Coppotelli G, Ross JM#. (2020) Histological-based stainings using free-floating method. Journal of Visualized Experiments. Jove, DOI: 10.3791/61622.
Adelöf J, Ross JM, Lazic SE, Zetterberg M, Wiseman JW, Hernebring M. (2019). Conclusions from a behavioral aging study on male and female F2 hybrid mice on age-related behavior, buoyancy in water-based tests, and an ethical method to assess lifespan. Aging,Sep 11;11(17):7150-7168. PubMed
Ross JM♯, Coppotelli G♯,Branca RM, Kim KM†, Lehtiö J, Sinclair DA, Olson L. (2019). Voluntary exercise normalizes the proteomic landscape in muscle and brain and improves the phenotype of progeroid mice. Aging Cell, Dec;18(6):e13029. PubMed
Ross JM, Coppotelli G, Olson L (Eds). (2016).Mitochondrial Dysfunction in Ageing and Diseases. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. Basel: MDPI AG.ISBN: 978-3-03842-251-8
Coppotelli G, Ross JM♯.(2016). Mitochondria in Ageing and Diseases: The Super Trouper of the Cell. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, Special Issue, “Mitochondrial Dysfunction in Ageing and Diseases”. 17(5):711. DOI: PubMed (invited Editorial)
Ross JM♯, Olson L, Coppotelli G#. (2015). The Mitochondrial and Ubiquitin Proteasome Systems in ageing and disease: Two sides of the same coin? International Journal of Molecular Sciences, Special Issue, “Mitochondrial Dysfunction in Ageing and Diseases”. 16(8):19458-76. DOI:10.3390/ijms160819458 PubMed(invited review)
Ross JM♯, Coppotelli G, Hoffer BJ, Olson L. (2014). Maternally transmitted mtDNA mutations cause reduced lifespan. Scientific Reports,4, 6569; DOI:10.1038/srep06569. PubMed
Ross JM, Stewart JB, Hagström E, Brené S, Mourier A, Coppotelli G, Freyer C, Lagouge M, Hoffer BJ, Olson L, Larsson NG. (2013). Germline mtDNA mutations aggravate ageing and can impair brain development. Nature, Sep 19; 501(7467): 412-5. PMID:23965628 PubMed
*Commented by:Keogh M and Chinnery PF (2013). Hereditary mtDNA Heteroplasmy: A Baseline for Aging? Cell Metabolism,Oct 1; 18(4): 463-4. PMID:24093673 PubMed
*Commented by:Burgess DJ (2013). Disease genetics: Double danger from mitochondrial mutations. Nature Reviews Genetics,Oct ;14(10): 678-9. PMID: 24022701 PubMed
Ross JM♯. (2011). Visualization of mitochondrial respiratory function using cytochrome c oxidase / succinate dehydrogenase (COX/SDH) double-labeling histochemistry. Journal of Visualized Experiments, (57): e3266, DOI: 10.3791/3266.PMID: 22143245 PubMed(invited by Editor)
Ross JM♯, Öberg J, Brené S, Coppotelli G, Terzioglu M, Pernold K, Goiny M, Sitnikov R, Kehr J, Trifunovic A, Larsson NG, Hoffer BJ and Olson L. (2010). High brain lactate is a hallmark aging and caused by a shift in the lactate dehydrogenase A/B ratio. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, Nov 16; 107(46): 20087-92. PMID: 21041631 PubMed
In the News
“Maternally transmitted mtDNA mutations cause reduced lifespan”
- *Featured in The Scientist “Mom’s mitochondria affect pup longevity”, Le Scienze (Italian Edition of Scientific America) “Il ruolo del DNA mitocondriale nella longevità”
“Germline mtDNA mutations aggravate ageing and can impair brain development”
- *Featured in The Post Star “Research analyzes aging,” New York Post “Looking older? Blame mom’s genes”, The Telegraph India “Mother link to faster ageing,” Science World Report “Mother’s Genes Impact the Aging Process: DNA Reveal How Old We Look,” der Standard “Mütterliche Gene können Alterungsprozess beschleunigen,” US News and World Report “Mom’s Genes May Play Part in How Children Age,” The Independent UK “Blame your mum if the years have not been kind: study says mothers pass on ‘ageing gene‘,”
- *Discussed in Glamour Magazine, Sveriges Television, Sveriges Radio, USA Today, Daily Mail UK, Google News, Yahoo! News, Healthy Living Magazine, MSN, The Huffington Post
- *Described in 28 different languages and in 39 countries worldwide
“High brain lactate is a hallmark aging and caused by a shift in the lactate dehydrogenase A/B ratio”
- *Featured in New Scientist Magazine “Track lactic acid to discover brain age,” National Geographic Deutschland “Frühwarnsystem für das Gehirn,” Der Spiegel “Milchsäurespiegel verrät Alterskrankheiten,” Die Welt “Fitness des Gehirns zukünftig messbar,” The NIH Catalyst “Follow the mitochondria”
- *Discussed in USA Today, St. Louis Globe-Democrat, Google News, The Star (Toronto), The Dallas Morning News
- *Described in 26 different languages and in 33 countries worldwide